Monday, April 21, 2014

Hiccups

by Lauren P.


I remember when I was scheduled for my very first client session; I made sure I had pens, pencils, erasers, scratch paper, reference documents and was well versed in everything I had been taught in training. I arrived about half a day early, scanned through the office supplies, and watched the door patiently—only to be no-showed. Being prepared for that, I lost my jitters, and was able to carry my enthusiasm over to my second scheduled appointment about a week later. This one was legit.

She’s a kind woman with a difficult story: her husband is disabled, her son is deaf, she works a full-time job while taking on the role of primary care-giver, and is drowning in debt. After reviewing her situation on that first day, we decided that taking care of one of her Pay Day Loans would be the best way to start. We took the necessary steps to enter her into a program that protected her from the outrageous interest rates that pollute Pay Day Loans, and she would make reasonable payments from then on (Editor’s note: this client has almost paid back her Fresh Start Loan in full!).

Great, I thought – go me! I totally helped this woman out. Well, in our second meeting, I realized it’s not that easy. Yes we tackled a large, money-sucking monster, but that wasn’t the only issue she faced. She was also having a hard time paying her energy bill. Riding the euphoric wave from our last success, I approached this challenge with the same optimism. We would review her financials, create a budget, and methodically pay off her energy bill. Right? Not right.

After extensively reviewing her income, expenses, debts, and cash flow, neither of us could see a solution. Over the course of our hour together, we discussed possible cut-backs, forms of additional income, and what realistic options we could find. But no matter where we looked, there didn’t seem to be a fix that would fit her family’s situation. At the end of our meeting, I knew I had failed her; we hadn’t come up with an answer. She left with an energy bill that, on paper, was not going to get paid.

Editor's caption: the paradox of coaching!
Despite my lack of solution-generating ability during that meeting, she scheduled another one with me. When we sat down, I asked about the energy bill and how things had turned out. She relayed that it had been paid in full by a local church that often reaches out to people who are struggling. Wow. I would have argued with a psychic that her bill wasn’t getting paid, but I was so happy to see that she was a resourceful woman. It reminded me that we were in a partnership, and when one of us struggled, the other could buckle down and pull through. Well anyway, great – another hurdle jumped! Now how to pay the energy bill for this month? (Deflation).

This woman and I have met over six times, and I have become fully invested in her successes. I realized quickly that success will be measured from week to week, because I know that once we tackle a problem, there is another one right behind it. Financial debt is not a game. It’s not easy. It’s not trivial. It consumes your thoughts, influences your quality of life, and takes years to remedy. Meeting with this woman and others has taught me an extremely valuable and rewarding lesson: nothing is fixed with just one patch. While it’s important to celebrate small successes, you can’t lose sight of the ultimate goal. Persistence can move mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment